The Durham Business Recovery Grant is a £5million fund to help County Durham businesses to recover from the effects of Covid-19.
Who can apply for a Durham Business Recovery Grant
Eligible businesses are those businesses able to demonstrate that they:
- have a significant operational base, but less than 250 employees in County Durham
- were established before 11 March 2020
- are set up for profit and registered to pay tax on profit (in any format, eg sole trader, limited company)
- use a business bank account (separating personal and business finance)
- can demonstrate a significant adverse impact from Covid-19
- can demonstrate solvency
- can outline a credible and costed recovery plan
- can fund their share of the recovery plan
Social enterprises (for example, community interest companies) are eligible provided they meet the above and can demonstrate that they generate 51% or more of their sales from commercial activity (excluding income from donations, grants and contracts not won through a competitive process).
Who cannot apply for a Durham Business Recovery Grant
The following are not eligible to apply for a Durham Business Recovery Grant:
- registered charities
- organisations set up to provide:
- local social welfare and community facilities, for example hospitals, hospices, nursing homes, fire stations, child-minding facilities, sports clubs and societies, parks, public libraries
- housing rental as part of an investment portfolio
- public services or activities to supplement public services, for example social housing or school age education.
- businesses whose activities may bring the council's name or reputation into disrepute.
If you're not eligible, North East Growth Hub's list of finance and funding provides a list of grants available, or see Business Durham Covid-19 business support brochure.
How to apply
Before you apply for a Durham Business Recovery Grant, please read the essential information - Durham Business Recovery Grant - essential information to help you prepare your application. The quality of your application will reflect the decision turnaround time of the application process.